"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

THE SMART ONE (Ellen Meister)

This chick lit novel was not poorly written, nor was it boring, but it really wasn't for me. The book is about the 3 Bloomrosen sisters, all of whom are at transition points in their lives. Clare, the oldest (the pretty one), is dissatisfied with her marriage and contemplating an affair. Bev, the middle (the smart one) sister, has just earned her teaching credentials after one divorce and ten years of trying unsuccessfully to establish herself in the art world. Joey, the youngest (the talented one), is a recovering addict and retired pop sensation trying to put her life back on track. Bev is the primary focus of the story, which involves a newly discovered murder and quite a bit of sex with an old flame who may or may not be trustworthy. There is one jarring moment in the book that seems to have been designed to totally discombobulate the reader, but overall it was a reasonably good read. I think it would probably make a great movie with some quirky, popular star in her mid-thirties playing Bev. I almost think I would like it better as a movie, but I am not sure why. Don't let me keep you from checking out this book, though. As I said, it was not bad, just not quite right for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment