"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Thursday, December 18, 2008

FOREIGN BODY (Robin Cook)

I have to admit that i didn't finish this book, but, nonetheless, I decided to write about it. Please don't assume that this novel is not worth reading. For me it was a matter of mood and the delightful situation of having several holiday-themed books waiting patiently for me on my desk.

Foreign Body is typical Robin Cook. Jennifer Hernandez is a medical student whose grandmother mysteriously dies after routine surgery in India. Jennifer travels to New Delhi to claim her grandmother's body and to investigate the incident and in the process, of course, she inadvertently stumbles upon a plot to destroy India's burgeoning medical tourism industry. Longtime Cook characters, medical examiners Laurie Montgomery and Jack Stapleton, are thrown into the mix and show up in India to help Jennifer cope with additional post-surgical deaths and threats to her life. Not having read the last third of the book I can't speak to most of the action, but I can tell you that the ending, at least in terms of the characters personal lives, is reasonably satisfying.

If it weren't Christmas I probably would have finished this book and enjoyed it more. I would recommend it as a reasonably entertaining winter read. Maybe I will even finish it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment