"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Monday, January 5, 2009

WINNER OF THE NATIONAL BOOK AWARD (Jincy Willett)

Jincy Willett is definitely not related to Marcia Willett, if their writing styles are any indication. Winner of the National Book Award is the story of twin sisters, Abigail and Dorcas. Abby and Dorcas are polar opposites: one is a sexy (well, slutty), plump, blond sensualist, the other a dark, thin librarian who decided long ago to be celibate. This is Dorcas' story, with Abigail's memoir about the events leading up to her current trial for the murder of her abusive, misogynist husband sort of running in the background. The thing that baffled me about this book is the numerous reviewer comments about the hilarity of the story. I chose this as the third and last novel in the First Tuesday Book Club's "Funny Side of Life" theme, but I did not laugh once as I slogged through this book. There were numerous interesting literary allusions, including the final references to Joyce's Molly Bloom, but none that I would describe as funny. Maybe the real life surrounding all of us right now has become too dark to warrant immersing ourselves in black humor, or maybe I personally just enjoy a rollicking romance or a bit of harmless slapstick more. Did you ever see the movie War of the Roses, where Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner ended up falling to their deaths from the chandelier in their escalating efforts to best each other in their divorce settlement? I didn't laugh at that, either. If you want a light book that just makes you laugh, try Dairy of a Mad Bride by Laura Wolff!

2 comments:

  1. yeah, you should stick to rollicking romances and bits of slapstick. Willett's writing is clearly too subtle for you. Or, if you'd like to raise the bar, try her story collection, Jenny and the Jaws of Life, or her latest novel, The Writing Class. Or don't. There's lots of books out there with shopping bags and high heels on the cover that may be more to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it is so much that Willett's writing is too "subtle" for me, but simply that I don't like her form of dark humor or her subject matter. Her "writing' is actually quite good and she reminded me a bit of Kate Christensen, whom I like. You are correct that there are many books with shopping bags and high heels on the cover that are very enjoyable, just as there are many classics, thrillers, mysteries, historicals, literary fiction, etc. There is plenty of room in the world for all sorts of reading tastes and there are times when people are in the mood for different types of reading. I appreciate your thoughts, but don't ever presume to tell someone what sort of reading they should "stick to". This blog is comprised of my thoughts on things that I have read and anyone has a right to disagree with me. The personal comments, however, are not welcome. If you have opinions on an actual book feel free to express them.

    ReplyDelete