"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

THE SHOP ON BLOSSOM STREET (Debbie Macomber)

I have to admit that, despite her popularity, I never expected to read, much less enjoy, a Debbie Macomber novel. The romance paperback section in our library is filled with Debbie Macomber's books about Navy wives and streets with sweet romantic names. I enjoy a little romance in my reading as much as the next person, but the strong, handsome, mysterious stranger whose eyes meet mine, igniting unquenchable passions, has never been a theme that I found particularly appealing or even palatable.

I picked this novel because (1) I had heard a lot of good things about it, (2) it is about a group of women who knit, and (3) I thought it was time for me to expand my horizons. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much! What a wonderful surprise this novel was. If you have read any of my previous reviews, you know that I am a sucker for stories about knitting (despite the fact that I crochet). I also love novels about groups of disparate women who come together and form unlikely friendships. The Shop on Blossom Street reminded me quite a bit of Beth Patillo's The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society, which included both of these. I enjoyed it very much. If you are looking for a gentle, positive read that you can sink your teeth into, try this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment