"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Sunday, December 27, 2009

SUMMER ON BLOSSOM STREET (Debbie Macomber)

I keep wondering why I can't stay away from Macomber's Blossom Street knitting series!  Although I don't read "romance", I like books that include some romance.  I always considered Macomber's various series too "romancey" for me, though.  I guess what appeals to me about this series is the happy endings.  The stories are not unrealistic: people have problems, including serious illnesses, broken families, and deaths, but they manage to work through their problems and find happiness.  I feel inspired by Macomber's characters to pursue life and to live it.  I'm sorry if that sounds trite or fluffy.  Sometimes I enjoy thought-provoking philisophy, historical detail, or exciting action, but sometimes I just get tired of the gore and the angst and the depression of many modern novels.  Sometimes happy endings are just what you need, and Macomber has them!  I feel happy after reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment