"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

HEARTS ON A STRING (Kris Radish)

Hearts on a String is  novel of sisterhood.  Five disparate, troubled women meet by chance in a Tampa airport restroom  and end up sharing a luxury hotel room when all flights are cancelled due to a giant storm.  As far as female bonding goes, I would recommend some of the others books that I have read, like Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons (Lorna Landvik),  before this particular novel.  It was not bad by any means, but something was off for me.  That doesn't mean that you as a reader would feel the same.  Holly (a shy hairdresser with psychic tendencies), Nan (a troubled business woman with a foundering marriage), Cathy (a sexy exceutive), Patti (a lounge singer), and Margo (a nurturing mother) are all unique and interesting characters, but they are a little too glib and their situation seems a little forced, not quite comfortable or natural.  I could be that Radish manages expertly to communicate the stress and anxiety of the women's situation through her writing, but I think I would rather watch the story unfold from the sidelines rather than feeling the angst of the characters so closely.  There are some interesting surprises as the secrets and problems of the women are revealed and the book did hold my interest.  I just had trouble feeling love for this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment