"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

SWEPT OFF HER FEET (Hester Browne)

You know, there is a time in one's life for every sort of reading.  As a child I read my way through the children's room of the Westfield Atheneum, always several grade levels ahead of where I was supposed to be.  I read all of Noel Streatfield's shoe books, Johanna Sperie, and all of Louisa Mae Alcott's works.  One of my all time favorites was a book called "Loretta Mason Potts" by Mary Chase, the story of a little girl who went off to play at the Potts egg farm one day and then refused to leave, necessitating her adoption by the Potts family.  I read that one 5 times!  When I was a  teenager I enjoyed horror and vampire stories, then as a young adult I gobbled up the classics, philosophy, and all of the angst-ridden memoirs born of the women's movement.  Through it all I managed to fit in all sorts of mysteries, Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart, Phyllis Whitney, selected nonfiction, and thrillers - medical, political, and legal.  As an older adult I find that women's fiction, cozy mysteries, and good, more mature chick-lit are the most appealing genres to me at this stage in my life.  I refuse to apologize for not currently reading more "meaningful" or educational books.  I already have two master's degrees, two children in or starting graduate school, a 26 year old marriage, and a full time career.  I watch the news every day, read political editorials, and worry about struggling family and friends.  I read for enjoyment and relaxation!

That being said (aren't you glad you asked?), I heartily recommend Hester Browne.  I have written about her novels before and they have never failed to put a smile on my face.  In this, her latest, Evie Nicholson is a single antiques finder and appraiser who is invited, at her sister Alice's suggestion, to Kettlesheer Castle in Scotland to evaluate the family possessions.  The family in question, the McAndrews, including son Robert, are the unexpected heirs to the castle and its land and are having a hard time maintaining the estate in the style to which the community has become accustomed, including hosting an annual ball.  Evie's sister, Alice, is in love with Frasier Graham, whose family estate is a neighbor to Kettlesheer, and she is scheduled to attend the ball..  When Alice mysteriously backs out of the committment, Evie, who has a secret crush on Frasier, is asked to take Alice's place dancing in 8 reels, a difficult proposition for a 30-year-old with 2 left feet.  In the meantime, Evie thinks she is making headway in her quest to find some antiques worth selling at Kettlesheer, or is she?  Is there some romance? Of course.  Are there tradtional Scottish customs and quirks?  Yes!  Do I wish that I could learn to dance reels and spend some time in an old Scottish castle brimming with history and antiques?  I certainly do.  Would I recommend this book?  Absolutely.  I also laughed out loud at times and thoroughly enjoyed being immersed in the modern problems of maintaining a crumbling castle in Scotland.  Enjoy it with a nice cup of tea and some authentic shortbread.  You deserve a break!

No comments:

Post a Comment