"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Monday, May 21, 2012

READING TO HEAL (Jacqueline Stanley)


Bibliotherapy as a means to improve life and psyche is not a new idea. Most avid readers probably engage in therapeutic reading on a regular basis without even realizing it: to deal with stressful jobs or home situations, solve relationship dilemmas, examine faith issues, analyze family relationships, etc. Professional therapists use bibliotherapy to help patients deal with illness or emotional issues, but it can also be used by individuals to enhance everyday life. Stanley, who is a lawyer, not a mental health professional, discusses bibliotherapy here as an art rather than as a science. Although dated (published in 1999), this book would a valuable resource for anyone interested in using reading as a means to gain insight and make positive changes to their behavior or attitudes. I am toying with the idea of presenting a program on fiction bibliotherapy at our library, but that will take some time to develop. I'll keep you posted!

Stanley covers all of the basics of reading both fiction and nonfiction as a means to heal, including how to find books, the benefits of bibliotherapy (things like awareness that others have similar problems, learning practical skills, escape and diversion, reinforcement of self-worth), and what to look for in different types of novels. She also makes some very valuable and practical suggestions for getting the most out of what you read, overcoming problems that stand in the way of reading, and personalizing a reading plan. One of my favorite quotes that Stanley includes sums up what I believe to be the basis for all reading: "The only important thing in a book is the meaning it has for you." (W. Somerset Maugham). Thinking back, when I was very young I was eager to fill my mind with historical adventures and family dramas written by Elizabeth Enright, Louisa Mae Alcott, and Frances Hodgsen Burnett. As I grew into adolescence I immersed myself in the classics (Thomas Hardy and George Eliot were my favorites!) and, of course, toe-curling horror by authors like Bram Stoker and H.P. Lovecraft. As I matured I enjoyed exploring topics like the mysticism of Carlos Casteneda and the pop psychology of Marilyn French. Medical and legal thrillers were my main literature of choice during those years when my husband and I were nearly overwhelmed by the realities of trying to raise two wonderful kids while making ends meet after a job layoff and big drop in income. As my parents and in-laws aged and we took on new roles as their caregivers and decision makers, I have found myself most drawn to cozy mysteries (Elizabeth Lynn Casey, Anne Canadeo,or Maggie Sefton, for example), funny chick-lit (Hester Browne, Katie Fforde, Isabel Wolff), or to women's fiction that often features people dealing with similar issues in life (Joanna Trollope, Marcia Willett, Barbara Delinsky) I can see distinct patterns in my reading habits over the years and I can, in many cases, see why I have chosen certain authors at specific times in my life. Of course, sometimes a good book is just a good book! I think that bibliotherapy is fascinating, though, and I'm looking forward to reading more on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment