"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Saturday, June 22, 2013

DEATH OF AN IRISH SINNER (Bartholomew Gill)

Here are the plusses of Death of an Irish Sinner:
1.  Detective Peter McGarr is a realistic and appealing character.  His personality and his loving  relationship with his wife and daughter make him identifiable to most readers.
2. Gill was a very literate writer.  I have a definite admiration for any author that compels me to run for the dictionary several times during a novel.
3.  I enjoyed the bonding and obvious friendship among the various police officers.
The minuses:
1.  Much grittier than the mysteries I usually enjoy.
2.  A lot of confusion trying to keep track of the various characters and their inter-relationships.
3.  Too many words that I actually had never heard before (very odd!).
4  Dissatisfying ending.

Overall, I would have to say that this was not my favorite book ever.  Far from it, in fact.  However, I would not NOT recommend it.   Rather, I would  recommend it for those who enjoy gritty literary mysteries and are good at keeping track of multiple characters and interrelated plotlines. Gill was a very good writer, just not my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment