"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Monday, January 20, 2014

THE OBITUARY WRITER (Ann Hood)

Last week someone returned this book to the library and said "You should read this!"  I did, and I have to say that I am very appreciative of the recommendation.  Hood's latest had already been mentioned in my BookBuggs group and was in the back of my mind to read someday, but I hadn't gotten around to it, partially because Ann Hood often writes about grief and loss and I wasn't really in the mood.  The Obituary Writer drew me in immediately, though.

Claire is a housewife in Virginia in1961, enamored of the Kennedy charisma and expecting a baby that she isn't sure is her husband's.  When her husband discovered her with her lover, the affair came to an abrupt end and her marriage has been understandably strained ever since.  She longs for the easy conversation and passion she enjoyed with her lover and grieves for what is lost.  Vivian, an obituary writer in 1919, has lived for 16 years in California's Napa Valley without closure, grieving for her married lover, David, who disappeared without a trace during the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.  Vivian has put her life on hold searching for David, filling her time with composing beautiful, personal obituaries for bereaved parents, spouses, and children.  The two women's stories are told in 7 chapters with alternating segments.  I spent the first 100 pages wondering about the connection between the two women while enjoying each of their stories.  It did come together beautifully at the end.

Every woman has experienced loss, disappointment, and grief.  I find it amazing that I chose to read this novel directly after finishing David Menasche's memoir, because they tie in so beautifully together.  We all make choices in life and we all experience things beyond our control.  We can choose to accept what we cannot change and move on, living life to the fullest, or we can choose to view our obstacles as a reason to stop living and empathizing.  The Obituary Writer provides an interesting historical perspective on love, loss, and acceptance.  I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment