"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Monday, April 21, 2014

GEMINI (Carol Cassella)

Where is the line between quality of life and mere physical survival?  When Jane Doe arrives in a Seattle ICU in a deep coma, Dr. Charlotte Reese is torn between trying to keep her patient alive, at least until she is identified, and letting her go as her condition deteriorates.  Cassella alternates between the story of Raney, a young girl struggling through life with her eccentric, loving grandfather and her strange friend Bo, and Jane's struggle for life in the ICU.  Charlotte is in a serious relationship with Eric, a man with secrets in his past that color all of his decisions about his future with Charlotte.
I have to admit that I had mixed feelings about this novel.  Maybe I'm obtuse, but I couldn't connect the separate stories until I was well into the story.  I felt like I was reading two different books.  Now that I've learned the outcome (which I won't reveal here), I have a better appreciation of Casella's ability to weave two storylines together into a cohesive conclusion.  A few more connections along the way would have made it a little easier, though.  I have to give the author credit, though, for not falling into a typical happy ending.  I won't say anymore because I'll ruin it for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment