"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Monday, December 1, 2014

GRAVE UNDERTAKINGS (Ralph McInerny)

First of all, I love the title of this mystery!  It's kind of tongue-in-cheek and fits this pl really well.

Up until this point my only exposure to Father Dowling, McInerny's sleuthing priest, has been the old TV show starring Tom Bosley and Tracy Nelson.  I was disappointed that the novels do not follow the same sort of plotting and character development, but I can't blame the author for that!  Still, I found keeping track of the characters difficult and I wasn't a big fan of the way the novel was laid out.  Really, when you come right down to it, I'm just not that big a fan of mob-oriented mysteries. Aside from my own personal taste, though, I can see why McInnerny had a decent fan base.  The development of the plot and gradual revelation of clues is clever and true to the time when it was written.  I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys and earthier mystery with a touch of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment