"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Friday, January 30, 2015

A DEMON SUMMER (G.M. Malliet)

Father Max Tudor is an Anglican priest and former MI5 agent who is in love with a pagan, Awena Owen.  They are expecting a child in a couple of months and are planning their wedding in just a few weeks.  When Max is summoned to see the bishop he worries that his superior may have gotten wind of Max's unusual nuptial plans, which he has yet to discuss with the bishop.  Instead, Max is asked to go to Monksbury Abbey, a local nunnery.  Lord Lislelivet, a benefactor of the abbey, was recently poisoned (inconveniently, but not fatally) by a fruitcake baked at the abbey and the bishop would like Max to look into the matter.  There is also the question of possibly misdirected funds and, naturally, a murder to solve.

Malliet has created a fascinating cast of characters and wonderfully communicates the ambiance of the abbey.  She manages to trick the reader at every turn with red herrings and secrets.  I have to say that while I enjoyed the mystery, I wasn't as fond of this as I am of the previous three novels in the Max Tudor series.  I think it may have been because I missed Nether Monkslip and its citizens through most of the book.  I did enjoy Max's references to Lousie Penny's novel, How the Light Gets In.  They made the story strangely more real and contemporary!  Also, don't let my lack of enthusiasm convince you to pass by this book.  Malliet is a wonderful novelist and this series is great.  I just hope that for the next one (if there is one), we can get back into life in Nether Monkslip.

No comments:

Post a Comment