"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Friday, March 20, 2015

STILL ALICE (Lisa Genova)

I would call this beautiful novel life-changing in some ways.  I am fortunate that no one close to me has ever had Alzheimer's, but I feel like I now have a much better understanding of the horror, fear, and frustration that must inevitably come with being diagnosed with this incurable disease.

Genova has written an unusual book in that it has a first-person point of view.  Alice, a prominent Harvard psychology professor, is at the height of her career when she starts to notice little mental lapses that she attributes to menopause.  When she finally consults a doctor, who orders numerous tests, she is given the devastating diagnoses of early-onset Alzheimer's.  The reader follows the progress of her symptoms from the inside looking out, which is a scary experience.  When I say that this book was life-changing I mean that it has provided me with truly new insight into something that I never imagined I might be able to understand.  I'm sure you know that Still Alice is now an award winning film.  I haven't seen it yet, but I intend to.  Read the novel first if you can (the book is always better).  You will be in awe of Genova.  She is certainly on my list of authors to read more of!

No comments:

Post a Comment