"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Thursday, August 20, 2015

SWORN TO SILENCE (Linda Castillo)

I decided to read this first Kate Burkholder mystery because two of my acquaintances LOVE LOVE LOVE Linda Castillo.  I didn't dislike to book.  I thought that it was well written and that the characters were interesting, especially with their flawed backgrounds (no superheroes here).

This story of a serial killer suddenly reappearing in Painter's Mill, Ohio after a 16 year absence definitely held my interest.  I enjoyed the insights into the Amish culture (Kate was raised Amish) and the interactions between the Amish and English and I was intrigued by the developing relationship between Police Chief Kate and John Tomasetti, a special agent from Columbus plagued by his troubled past (his wife and daughters were murdered in his home) and drowning himself in booze and pills in an effort to forget his losses.  The problem is that the book was just too graphic for me.  I just don't find the graphic details of human slaughter, autopsies, and the minds of psychotic killers that appealing to read about.  Many people do enjoy this type of story, so don't let yourself be discouraged by my opinion.  If you are a fan of CSI or SVU you will LOVE this series.  I am going to read another, partly because Castillo is a terrific writer and partly because I'm hoping that the next one might be less graphic and violent.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment