"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Saturday, December 19, 2015

THE CINDERELLA MURDER (Mary Higgins Clark & Alafair Burke)

I KNEW that I had read something else that I forgot to post!  I simply have to try and keep up with this blog even if I feel like I'm buried under family issues, holiday baking, and Christmas shopping and wrapping!

I haven't read any of Alafair Burke's books (not because I'm not interested, but because there are SO many books out there, and as a librarian I have a "to read" list with about 1000 titles on it!), but this one seemed to me to be very much Mary Higgins Clark.  It would be interesting to see who contributed what, or if their styles are already similar.

Television producer Laurie Morgan, whose first true crime special, Under Suspicion, was a popular success, wants to open the investigation on another cold case, the 20-year-old murder of college student Susan Dempsey.  With a large number of suspects, the case of the aspiring actress is an intriguing challenge for Laurie and her crew.  Susan, a brilliant budding scientist, was found strangled in a park near the estate of a famous movie producer who had invited her to audition.  One of Susan's roommates ended up getting the part (her big break), her boyfriend belonged to a mega-church supposedly devoted to helping the poor (while the head of the organization becomes increasingly rich), her other roommate drops out and disappears, eventually changing her name, and the boy who loved Susan from afar quit school to start a phenomenally successful tech company with the handsome professor rumored to be dallying with several attractive female students.  So many suspects!

This novel reminds me of why Clark has remained popular for so many years.  It is well-paced and the characters, although involved in some pretty out-of-the-ordinary adventures, are believable and, in many cases, even likable.  It's a good novel with which to pass a quiet weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment