"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Monday, February 15, 2016

SUMMER SECRETS (Jane Green)

I read Summer Secrets on my Kindle, which is not my favorite way to read.  I like being able to go back and check previous details, like dates and names, and reading an e-book makes that difficult.  Still, it's free and easy with our library's OneClickDigital database!

Main character Cat, a divorced mother, is an alcoholic.  The novel mainly covers 1998 through the present, starting in 2014 and then going back to earlier times in Cat's life and to the early years of her parents' marriage.  Cat started drinking young and her dependence on alcohol spiraled out of control until she has evolved into a full-blown alcoholic by her early 20's.  Typical of some alcoholics, Cat doesn't really believe that she has a "problem,", but tries to sober up when she meets the recovering alcoholic who will turn out to be the love of her life.

The story here is not unique:  Girl grows up in dysfunctional family, becomes dysfunctional herself, discovers secrets in her past, falls in love, tries to get her act together, fails and tries again.  While there is much family drama here, it is basically a novel about a woman's struggle with alcoholism. My impression is that Jane Green must be close to someone who has struggled with a drinking problem, or that she is a great researcher, because she gets right to the heart of alcoholism, bringing us into the inner world of an alcoholic.  Don't look to be uplifted.  I found the book kind of depressing, but insightful and informative.  I have to admit that I picked it because it was by Jane Green without really paying attention to the subject matter.  I am glad that I read it and I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in a look at the inside world of an alcoholic.


No comments:

Post a Comment