"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Monday, June 27, 2016

THE ISLAND HOUSE (Nancy Thayer)

This was a bit more involved than Nancy Thayer's usual Nantucket novels, which always explore human emotions but usually seem more linear in terms of storyline.  I found the excerpts from the past a bit confusing, although they did accomplish what Thayer set out to do: explaining the background of the many complicated and evolving relationships among and connected with the Vickery family and all of the people who summer at their home on Nantucket.  I was a little puzzled at the list of characters in the front of the book, but as I read I realized that it was a good idea!  There are many complicated people and relationships involved here and it really helped me to keep them straight.

The intelligent, turbulent Vickery family is headed by Dr. Alistair Vickery, a brilliant but socially awkward surgeon, and his wife Susanna, an unbelievably patient and generous earth mother who welcomes her "summer children" with open arms every year.  Their own children are Henry, the oldest (and bi-polar) son, also a brilliant surgeon; Robin, the daughter with a secret; James, the dynamic younger son, now a successful entrepreneur;, and Iris, the youngest.  Courtney Hendricks is one of the "summer children," traveling to Nantucket to work every summer since freshman year of college with her roommate and best friend Robin.  Summers are complicated on Nantucket, with various unrequited loves, romantic complications, and family dramas, especially involving Henry's bipolar disorder and James' escapades over the years.

I kind of wish this novel had been written sequentially rather than using the flashback technique.  I think I would have enjoyed it more.  As it is, though, I think it was definitely worth my time and I would recommend it.  Just don't expect a simple, easy read!

No comments:

Post a Comment