"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Monday, May 1, 2017

NOT WORKING (Lisa Owens)

I picked this book up because it looked easy and we were counting down to my daughter's wedding so I didn't want to be bogged down by anything too involved.  In retrospect, though, I think I would have preferred to be MORE involved.  Instead of wondering what happened to the characters AFTER I finished to book, I realize that I'm still wondering what happened DURING the book.  I feel like it wasn't quite finished.

The novel was fairly well-written and the premise was interesting.  Presented in short vignettes from the point of view of Claire, the title character, it is about a young woman who resigns from her job in hopes of finding a new career that inspires passion.  As weeks stretch into months, Claire drives a wedge into her relationship with her critical mother by inadvertently suggesting that her late grandfather (her mother's father) was a pervert.  She tests the patience of her longtime and devoted boyfriend, Luke, a brain surgeon.  She drinks too much.  She makes wry observations about people on the tube and in coffee shops.  In fact, she does quite a few things, but little in the way of finding here true calling.  I like her boyfriend, Luke, who is faithful, loving, patient, and supportive.  Claire?  I'm not so sure. She never quite works her way into my imagination and her family is not especially likable.  I think it was a good idea, but I need a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment