"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

POLDARK: ROSS POLDARK (Winston Graham)

If you are a fan of Poldark, either the original 1970's series or the one being shown currently (Ah, Aida Turner!), and you enjoy historical fiction, I can guarantee that you will love Ross Poldark.  If you haven't seen either series but like historical fiction, you will also love it!  I decided to read it because of the TV series, especially since I had also heard excerpts, read by Graham's son on PBS.

Set in the 1780's, Poldark (for those of you who are not familiar with it) is the story of a young British man who went to America to fight the rebels after getting into trouble at home one too many times.  He returns in 1783 to find his late father's house and land in a shambles and his true love, Elizabeth Chynoweth, engaged to his cousin.  Ross Poldark, despite his past, is a man of honor and integrity, a hard worker, and sympathetic to the plight of the poor.  He despairs over the starving masses and does his best to alleviate suffering.  He's a great, if troubled guy, the perfect flawed hero.

I have to admit that I was surprised at how this novel captured my interest.  I plan to read the whole series and look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment