"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Saturday, April 14, 2018

WEYCOMBE (G.M. Malliet)

My first impression of this novel, which I had been anxiously anticipating, was that I didn't like Jillian White, the main character.  An American married to a member of a nearly impoverished British aristocratic family, she seemed a bit too calculating.  Her marriage was in a sorry state, her husband weirdly distant, and her relationships with her neighbors seemed a bit emotionless and self-serving.  I almost stopped reading, but because I am a big fan of Malliet's other novels, I continued.

At the outset, Jillian discovers the body of realtor and neighbor Anna during her usual morning walk by the river in the little village of Weycombe.  Worried about a killer in their midst and doubting the abilities of the local police, Jill starts her own investigation into the untimely death.  This truly is a novel of suspense, with new insights and suspicions coming to light with each chapter.  I can't say too much without giving away the plot, but I can say that I'm glad (yet, somehow, also horrified) that I continued reading it.

While I don't think this is Malliet's best effort, I do believe that the story is much better in retrospect than in the actual reading.  It is well-written;  I don't mean to imply that it's not.  It is, however, the type of story that makes you feel uneasy about people, which may be why it didn't appeal to me as much as I expected it to.  It leaves you with the same sort of impression as "Gone Girl," unsure of human nature and a bit horrified at how evil people can really be.  I think you should probably read it yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment