"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Sunday, December 23, 2018

ALASKAN HOLIDAY (Debbie Macomber)

I don't ordinarily read Debbie Macomber.  In fact, my only experience has been with her Blossom Street novels, which I enjoyed very much.  I picked up Alaskan Holiday because it was Christmas time and the idea of reading a nice holiday romance appealed to me.  It didn't turn out to be a Christmas romance, though.

Chef Josie Avery accepted a seasonal job cooking things like roast venison and caribou stew for a lodge in remote Ponder, Alaska while waiting for her real career, assistant to one of the country's top chefs, in a new Seattle restaurant. At season's end, Josie is anxious to get back to her real life, her career, and her mother in Seattle, but she is blindsided by an awkward proposal of marriage from Palmer Saxon.  Josie has strong feelings for Palmer, a swordsmith and native of Ponder, but she feels that her commitment to her new job comes first, so she plans to leave on the last ferry before the harbor is iced in for the winter.  Of course, this being a romance, she misses the boat, literally.  And so the story continues.

I can't say that I loved this novel, but that isn't a reflection on Macomber's talent as a writer.  I simply prefer a different type of romance, or women's fiction with a romantic element.  Also, I was disappointed that it wasn't a Christmas story!  If you enjoy a good romance I would not rule this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment