"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Monday, February 4, 2019

THE GOLDEN TRESSES OF THE DEAD (Alan Bradley)

I'll admit that I was kind of worried about what would happen when Flavia aged, but I don't think we have anything to fear.  She and Dogger have opened their own business, Arthur Dogger and Associates, dedicated to solving crimes discreetly.

Flavia's older sister Ophelia (Feely) is rendered hysterical at her wedding reception when she cuts into her cake and finds in it a human finger, an object that is quickly and efficiently spirited away for testing by Flavia, who is, of course, delighted by this unexpected turn of events,.  She and Dogger set out to discover the owner of the finger, a quest that leads them into a tangled web of deceit and, yes, desecration of corpses for monetary gain!  Several of the reviews I read indicated that they were disappointed in the evolution of Flavia and her more subdued personality in this book, but I found it a natural progression as the character matures.  I give this one a thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment