"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Thursday, January 12, 2012

YARN HARLOT: THE SECRET LIFE OF A KNITTER (Stephanie Pearl-McPhee)

Well, I love Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and you can certainly expect me to be reporting on her future collections of observations on knitting and knitters.  Unfortunately, I was too ambitious in ordering interlibrary loans and taking out interesting sounding books from my own library and I ended up having to send this one back to the owning library.  Never fear, though!  I ordered another copy and will be reviewing it in the coming weeks!

...Now that I am done with this wonderful collection of essays I can say that it was well worth waiting for.  As I have said before, you don't have to be a knitter to enjoy Pearl-McPhee's life wisdom.  One of the most memorable essays here is the story of her friend and fellow knitter Lene (I may have the name wrong, but I don't have the book with me!), who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and has finally reached the point where she can no longer knit.  Stephanie and their mutual friend Ken go through Lene's stash of yarn with her, a sad undertaking, and each take home a selection of wonderful wools.  During the  next couple of years they knit the yarns and always gift them with a note that they are from Lene, a wonderful tribute to a friend who can no longer experience the joy and peace of knitting.  This particular essay, focusing on carrying on a task for someone who needs help, was heart-warming and a true reflection of how life and friendship should be.  It was inspiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment