"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ANOTHER PIECE OF MY HEART (Jane Green)

I read with interest some of the Goodreads reviews on this novel and I tend to agree with the people who mentioned "old Jane" and "new Jane."   There has been a definite change in Jane Green's writing and themes over years, from earlier chick lit novels like Babyville and Bookends to her more recent publications, which remind me much more of Barbara Delinsky or Nancy Thayer than Sophie Kinsella and Helen Fielding.  Maybe it has to do with growing older (as we all do) or moving to America.  I tend to like the chick lit phase more, I have to confess.

Overall, I did not dislike Another Piece of My Heart, but I found it to be a bit too angst-filled for my taste.  Andi and Ethan met and married after his divorce from Brooke, an out-of-control alcoholic who shares custody of their two daughters, Emily and Sophia.  Longing for a family of her own, Andi enthusiastically embraces her role as stepmother to sweet 8-year-old Sophia and Emily, who is a sullen teenager.  Despite their commitment, things go from bad to worse for Andi and Ethan as they battle infertility and Emily's constant competition for Ethan's attention.  Emily's disruptive behavior and Ethan's guilt at his daughter's unhappiness drive a wedge between the couple, and Andi has almost reached her breaking point when Emily's pregnancy at 17 becomes a further stress in their lives.

Emily is a deeply troubled drama queen, for sure, and I still cannot quite fathom why her parents decided to forego individual or family counseling.  It might have ruined the plot line, but it might have made a big difference for this poor family. Fortunately, they work it out in the end.  You'll have to read it to find out how!

No comments:

Post a Comment