"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." (James Bryce)

Saturday, April 21, 2012

THE BEST OF TIMES (Penny Vincenzi)

Where has Penny Vincenzi been all my life?  Interestingly, I choose most of the fiction at the library where I work and I have discovered that we own at least five of her novels, all purchased by ME!  I wonder why I never noticed them before?

The Best of Times is a long book (593 pages) with a LOT of characters whose lives intersect dramatically on a hot August afternoon when some of them are involved in a tragic multi-vehicle accident on the M4 just outside of London.  Jonathan and Abi are bitterly ending a brief affair, Georgia is desperately trying to get to the audition that might result in her big break as an actress, and Mary is on her way to the airport to meet Russell, with whom she shared a war time romance.  Toby and Barney are late for Toby's wedding and Patrick, whose truck goes out of control and causes the accident, is just trying to get home to his family.  Will Grainger witnesses the accident from his farm adjacent to the highway and his life slowly becomes entwined with the heroes and victims of the crash.

Full of intrigue, suspense, and romance, Vincenzi's novel is a must-read as far as I am concerned.  I loved it.  A The only thing I could suggest to make it better would be a list of characters to refer to.  It does get confusing at points!

No comments:

Post a Comment